Friday, May 22, 2009

Gwen the kookaburra

The kindergarten through the 3rd grade put on a cute program called "It's a small World" where they traveled to different countries. Gwen was an Australian Kookaburra, you can barely see the top of her head in the picture. She did a great job flapping her wings. But she said the beak hurt her nose.
This totally cracked me up, when they traveled to the UK they ran into the "Beatles" they sang "She loves me yah, yah"
These adorable kids are at the Abandoned Girls Home where I go and teach sewing. I usually go with another lady but she has been gone for a couple of weeks so I'm going solo, my portuguese dictionary is getting a workout! I love going, the girls really enjoy sewing. These 3 cuties are about 5 years old. The one in the blue shirt is the only boy at the home his name is Gobbie and he was left with his sister a year ago and they wouldn't separate them. So for now he'll stay at the girls home. When he sees me coming he runs and jumps into my arms and gives me the best hugs. He knows I don't speak a lot of portuguese but he always asks me for candy. Salina is the girl in the front and Mommie is the girl in the back they are a little more cautious then Gobbie but they still want to be hugged. They especially love to play with my hair and rub at my skin, I wish I knew what they were thinking! I must look so weird to them.
This is Tete pronounced Taytay, 14 years old she is a remarkable little sewer. The fun thing about sewing is that they can create something is such a short period of time and feel so proud. She finished her book bag yesterday. Lydia is the other lady that teaches sewing and she has done such an amazing job with these girls. She has been here for 4 years and she has watched them grow up. Her sewing skills make me look like a total amateur. Then my camera battery ran out so I couldn't get pictures of the other girls.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

M. Moore said...

"Merry, merry, King of the bush is she...." Gwenny is the most beautiful Kookaburra I've ever seen.

Those are the cutest kids. It's so heartbreaking to know that they don't have parents. Look how happy they are, though. Buoyant, happy spirits.

V said...

What a fun school program! What an experience working with those kids...I can't imagine how it would be. Sounds like your Portugese is coming along! Good for you!