Saturday, March 5, 2011

Nathan Hale in Angola

The past couple of weeks Gwen's class has been studying all kinds of different books. Since I help out in her class with reading anyway I thought it would be fun to take along some of my nephew Nate's books that he has written and illustrated. They looked at his blog,
I read them one of his stories and showed them his other books that he has illustrated.
They had some questions they wanted to ask him:
1. How long do you write until you know it's going to be a good story?
2. When were you born?
3. Do your books come in other languages?
4. Have you ever received an award?
5. Where do you get your ideas?
6. How do you send it to your publisher?
7. What do you enjoy more writing or illustrating?
8. How long does it take you to write/draw a book?

Last year when Gwen's class was studying animals I took along Nate's book Yellowbelly and Plum.


Then the kids all made their version of Plum out of bread dough.
It is so fun sharing Nate's talents with Angola!


3 comments:

M. Moore said...

That is so awesome! Madeline calls any yellow toy "Yellowbelly". Something addictive about those books. I'd like to know the answers to those questions, too.

V said...

FUN!!! What great ideas!

Nathan said...

Hi Guys! Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but an illustrator's days are VERY busy and full of deadlines.

Let's answer these questions!

1. How long do you write until you know it's going to be a good story?

I don't start writing until I feel like I have a good idea. When I have a rough idea, then I'll let it roll around in my head for a while. Sometimes a day or two--sometimes YEARS! Then I'll start writing it. Sometimes the idea works out, sometimes it doesn't.

2. When were you born?

1976!

3. Do your books come in other languages?

So far, no. My book are available in all English speaking countries. I hope someday I will have translated versions of my books. But for now, I'm just in english.

4. Have you ever received an award?

My book RAPUNZEL'S REVENGE was nominated for the highest award in comics; The Eisner Award. I went, with the authors, to San Diego Comic Con, where they announce the Eisner Winners. It was very fun, but we didn't win. The award went to CORALINE by Neil Gaiman (there is a movie based on that, if you've seen it.)

5. Where do you get your ideas?

I'm thinking of ideas all the time. But it helps to do something else to occupy your mind. Like running, or doing dishes. When your body is busy, it is easier for your mind to wander and find ideas.

6. How do you send it to your publisher?

I have an agent now, who does all the publisher-contacting for me. But before I had an agent, I just sent my manuscripts out in a big envelope. There is a book that comes out every year called The Picture Book Author's and Illustrator's Market Guide. It has all the publishers' addresses and information. I would pick out my favorite publishers and send them a manuscript. It takes a VERY long time to get a reply, but I was able to get my start by doing that.

7. What do you enjoy more writing or illustrating?

Writing is easier. You can write a picture book in a very short time--even a few minutes. Doing the pictures takes much, MUCH longer. I like doing both at the same time--that is the most fun.

8. How long does it take you to write/draw a book?

Like I said, I can write a book very quickly. The shortest amount of time I've spent on illustrations for a book was a month. That is a very short amount of time to create 30+ paintings. The longest I've spent was for RAPUNZEL, which took ten months.

Thanks for the great questions guys! I hope you have fun writing and illustrating your own stories!

Nate