Wednesday, September 3, 2008

You paid how much?!

I went shopping today and I thought I would just share with you how much things cost here. I got the idea from Grump's blog of when he was in Nigeria. He knows our sticker shock!
I bought the fruit from the "Amiga Ladies" off the side of the road. They are very friendly and helpful. For 10 apples, 10 oranges, 10 tomatoes and a pineapple for a grand total of $30 or 2200 kwanzas. The oranges, pineapple and apples came from Namibia.
I like to go to a warehouse that carries the shelf milk from Holland I also picked up garbonzo beans mushrooms and some cookies like oreos and eggs for a whoping total of $141.27. I figured out the price of milk per gallon and it comes to about $12! I like the warehouse because they take american dollars but they give the change in Kwanzas and they give no coins because they have no coins so they just round to the nearest dollar. Just bills and the biggest bill is 2000 Kwanzas and the smallest is 5 so you end up carrying so much money around.
This is for you Mom, you asked what I do with my produce. I fill the sink with water and add 2 teaspoons of bleach.
Then I put plates on them so they are fully submerged and leave them there for 30 minutes. Sometimes I forget to get them out and they stay in for longer. With everything that can be peeled I wipe down with the bleach.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: